How To Care For Human Hair Wigs & Hair Pieces
- Before shampooing, gently remove the tangles.
- Always use a mild shampoo.
- Wet the hair using warm water. Place a small amount of shampoo on your fingers and work the shampoo into the hair. Stroke downwards from the wig cap to the ends. Do not twist, scrub or rub the hair.
- Rinse thoroughly under warm running water. Take care to rinse all shampoo from the hair.
- Place a small amount of conditioner in your hand. Work into hair and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly in warm water.
- Gently towel blot to remove excess water.
- While wet, gently comb the hair to remove tangles. Use a large toothed comb, move in a downward motion away from the wig cap and to the ends.
- Hang to air dry, set in rollers or use a blow dryer on a low setting, as desired.
- Steam rollers or wet setting are the recommended method to curl human hair.
- Blow dryers, curling irons and other thermal tools may be used on low settings. Remember the hair may scorch if the setting is too high.
Please note: Any cutting or chemical processes should be done by a professional stylist. Initial styling fee is waived on purchase of a wig from GT Hair Boutique. Subsequent styling will be subject to our standard wig styling rate.
Hair Spray and Hair Tonics
Never use traditional hair sprays and/or tonics as they will leave excessive residue and damage the rooting the rooting system. Always use products designed for use on wigs and hair pieces.
You can wear your hair piece swimming, however most water contains either chlorine or salt, and both cause bleaching and brittleness to all hair, even synthetics. Be sure to rinse the hair replacement after swimming to remove chlorine or salt.
Sunlight fades all hair whether your own hair or a hair replacement solution. Since the hair in your hair replacement does not grow and renew, protect it from unnecessary exposure to sunlight.
Sleeping with your hair piece on, on a regular basis, is not recommended since it is very hard on the hair and fibers and can reduce the life of the hair piece.
Off the Head Care
When not wearing your hair piece, rest it on a Styrofoam head block. The hair should hang down naturally so it can curve inwards. Never let your hair piece rest on a hard surface with the bottom down.